Abu Hurairah(Allah be pleased him) reported that Allah’s Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: “On the Day of Judgment, Allah, the Exalted, will say: “.. “O son of Adam! I asked you to give water to Me, but you did not give it to Me!”The son of Adam will say: “O Allah, How come You ask me for water even though You are the Lord of the Worlds?” Allah will say: “My slave asked you for water and you refused to give him. Don’t you know that if you had given him water, i would have rewarded you?” (Reported by Muslim)
Anas reported that Sa’d(Allah be pleased him) once came to the Prophet (Peace be upon him) and said: “O Allah’s Prophet! My mother died without leaving a will, is there any benefit for her if I gave Sadaqah (alms) on her behalf ? The Prophet answered “yes, I advise you to give the Sadaqah through water.” [Reported by Al-Tabarani]
Water is the most precious resource and we can all do our bit firstly by saving water.
1. Do an inventory for a week and see how much water you use during the day. How much water do you use:
brushing your teeth
watering the garden
2. Don’t leave the water running when brushing your teeth or washing your dishes,clothes.
4. When pouring water down the drain think if it could be used for something else – watering a plant or garden.
5. Verify that your home is leak free. Many homes have hidden water leaks. Read your water meter before and after a two-hour period when no water is being used. If the meter does not read exactly the same, there is a leak.
6. Repair dripping faucets/taps by replacing washers. If your faucet is dripping at a rate of one drop per second, you can expect to waste 2,700 gallons per year.
10. Carry a fresh bottle of water in the car, if you pass by a beggar or someone working hard in the sun the whole day give them the water.
11. Find out if there are areas where you stay that have scarce water resources. Work with your community or call an organization that specializes in water schemes to help them get clean water by building a borehole or water well. Donate to organizations that have specialty in building water wells and boreholes.